Brazilian Chicken Croquettes (Coxinha)
Serves 9 - 12
For the filling:
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, diced
2 cups cooked shredded chicken
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt to taste
4 ounces cream cheese
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
For the dough:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
2 cups whole milk
¼ cup chicken broth
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups panko bread crumbs
Oil for frying
1. In a medium pot, heat olive oil, then sauté garlic and onions until soft and brown. Add shredded chicken, salt, and paprika. Stir to incorporate.
2. Transfer mixture into a bowl, add cream cheese and parsley. Mix well.
3. In the same pot, add butter, chicken broth, and milk. Bring to a boil. Stir in flour until dough is formed.
4. Transfer dough to a flat surface. Knead the dough while it is warm, but not hot.
5. Pinch a piece of dough, about the size of a large egg, and roll into a ball. Using your hands, flatten the dough and spoon filling into the center. Wrap the dough into a pear shape and make sure there aren’t any holes.
6. While heating a pot of oil to 350˚F/180˚C, dredge the dough in egg and panko, then deep-fry till golden brown and cooked through. Drain on a towel and serve immediately.